The Mala Earth concept was created by Rebecca Agent who has a deep desire to build a business with heart. She has a passion for yoga and sustainability and has firsthand experience with the healing benefits of this sacred jewellery.
In 2013 after completing an MBA with specialisations in Sustainability and Operations Management Rebecca found herself completely burnt out. In an effort to re-balance she took a pilgrimage of sorts to Hawaii to meditate, cleanse and practice yoga. It was on the beautiful island of Kawai where she brought her first Mala and life since has been quite incredible. After finding balance and reigniting her passions she has since left a long corporate career to pursue further travels to Bali to study and become a yoga teacher and this is where she discovered Aum Rudraksha Designs. Rebecca aims to create projects she hopes will inspire you, to find out more head over to her website.
Mala Earth has been built using a framework of yogic philosophy and sustainability methodologies i.e. closed loop production and conscious consumerism. We strive to be fair-trade ethically sourced and sustainable. We also commit to donating a percentage of our profits to charity, the current charity of choice is Sustainable Coastlines New Zealand.
- They contain spiritual and healing qualities and are used as a tool for certain types of meditation.
- Mala’s help to calm the mind and body so meditation can be accessible and more meaningful.
- Most of our Malas are made with 108 rudraksha seeds and/or semi precious stones along with an additional bead called a Guru Bead, this is the 109th bead of the string.
Rudraksha (said Rud-ruck-sha) are often referred to as beads, but actually are seeds from Rudraksha trees. These trees grow in the wild and on sustainable plantations found in the Himalayas of India and Nepal and in Malaysia and Southeast Asia. The name stems from ancient Hindu mythology meaning “the eyes of Shiva”. It is believed that Shiva, who is known as the patron for all Gods, meditated on the welfare of mankind he emerged crying tears of compassion. It was these tears that upon landing on earth were crystallized to form the Rudraksha trees. The qualities of these special seeds are said to settle the mind, increase mental clarity, memory and general awareness, reduce stress and depression, free negative thoughts and calm the central nervous system.
Who is Wearing Us?
Mala beads are for everyone! Our Mala Beads have been worn by Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love. You’ll also find them on:
- Actresses - Julia Roberts
- Musicians - Michael Franti, Natalie Imbruglia, Xavier Rudd, Dustin Thomas
- Surfers - Kelly Slater
- Yoginis & Yogis - Shiva Rea, Sean Corn, Eoin Finn
- You’ll even see them featured in high style fashion magazines such as Marie Claire, Italy
Click here for JPG and PNG files for Media Use.