What are the Chakras?
Chakra’s are believed to be energy centres or points in the subtle body, usually visualized as wheels, spinning wheels. These energy centres can be thought of as meeting points of subtle (non-physical) energetic pathways or channels known as Nadis. Much like left brain and right brain, there are two channels of energy in the body, the Inga and Pingala, which are said to cross the central channel at each Chakra. These Nadis carry the flow of life force or prana throughout the body. It is thought that having one of these centres or Chakras blocked i.e. the energy is not flowing freely and can lead to illness of the physical, emotional or spiritual self.
There are seven Chakra centres within the body:
1st Root Chakra - Muladhara
- Location: Base of the spine
- Colour: Red
- Element: Earth
- Principle: Survival, Stability, Security, Grounding
- Gemstones: Bloodstone, Garnet, Red Aventurine, Red Jasper, Ruby, Smokey Quartz
The Root Chakra represents our foundation and the sense of groundedness. It is related to our feeling of safety and security. Emotional indicators are survival issues i.e. food, shelter and money.
2nd Sacral Chakra - Svadhisthana
- Location: Below the navel, lower abdomen
- Colour: Orange
- Element: Water
- Principle: Creativity, Sexuality
- Gemstones: Amber, Carnelian, Orange Aventurine
The Sacral Chakra represents our feelings and sensations. It is the motive for the enjoyment of life through the senses. Emotional indicators are a sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality and the need/desire to procreate.
3rd Solar Plexus Chakra - Manipura
- Location: Above the navel, upper abdomen
- Colour: Yellow
- Element: Fire
- Principle: Personal Power, Identity
- Gemstones: Amber, Citrine, Tiger Eye, Yellow Jasper
The Solar Plexus Chakra represents our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives. It drives our determination to move forward in life and reach our personal goals. Emotional indicators are self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
4th Heart Chakra - Anahata
- Location: Centre of the chest
- Colour: Green
- Element: Air
- Principle: Love, Devotion, Forgiveness, Compassion
- Gemstones: Amazonite, Green Aventurine, Rose Quartz
The Heart Chakra represents our ability to give and receive love - from others and ourselves. It lets us experience the feeling of unconditional love and compassion for all. Emotional indicators are love, joy and inner peace.
5th Throat Chakra - Vishuddha
- Location: Middle of throat
- Colour: Blue
- Element: Sound
- Principle: Communication, Expression, Truth
- Gemstones: Blue Lace Agate, Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite, Turquiose
The Throat Chakra represents our ability to communicate truly and clearly. It influences how we express ourselves authentically. Emotional indicators are communication, self-expression of feelings and the truth.
6th Third Eye Chakra - Ajna
- Location: Centre of the forehead
- Colour: Indigo
- Element: Light
- Principle: Intuition, Insight, Wisdom
- Gemstones: Amethyst, Fluorite, Moonstone
The Third Eye Chakra represents our ability to perceive intuitive thoughts and inner guidance. It opens our foresight and psychic abilities. Emotional indicators are intuition, imagination, wisdom and ability to think clearly and make decisions.
7th Crown Chakra - Sahasrara
- Location: Top of the head
- Colour: Clear, Violet, White
- Element: Thought
- Principle: Connectivity, Consciousness, Enlightenment
- Gemstones: Clear Quartz, Diamond, Selenite
The Crown Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected to spirituality. It motivates us to seek a deeper connection to the universal consciousness. Emotional indicators are complete awareness, spiritual connection to our higher selves and pure bliss.